DIY Drawer Organization – Coffee Station
There once was a drawer that housed a lot of junk. But on one fine day, this drawer found a new purpose. It would become, The Keeper of The Coffee – and more and more, and more… (in my James Earl Jones voice). . 😜😂.
LOL but really, when I decided to turn the built-in desk in my kitchen into a coffee station, I knew that I wanted to store most of my coffee items conveniently in the drawer below. At that time, all I had on hand were a few foam boards. And as any proclaimed DIYer would do, I cut and taped those babies until I had this.
It didn’t look terrible, but it wasn’t very sturdy. Ok who am I kidding 😒? It was pretty tacky, but it served it’s purpose.
I happened to have a little time this week and thought why not put something more sturdy in place. I wanted the project to be quick, easy, and most importantly inexpensive. I also wanted the partitions to be removable. So, I made a quick trip to Home Depot where I found these.
These are just standard yard sticks for $0.99 each. I only needed 3 for my drawer, but I purchased a few extra for future organization projects.
Back at home, I wrote down the measurements of the current layout. Although, I didn’t strictly follow them. Remember I wanted this project to be easy. The cool thing about using the yard sticks is, you have a built in ruler 😁.
I gave the drawer a good and most necessary cleaning. There was enough hot coco spilled in there to make a cup 😒🙈. Then I took a quick measure of the width.
After I cut the pieces and put them in place, I realized that the two screws holding the drawer face in place, kept the sticks from laying flush, so I drilled out two relief holes in them.
From here I measure and cut the partition inserts.
To attach them, I am using the Gorilla Glue Pen. It holds very well, but its pretty messy and dries white and puffy 😒.
I glued all of the partition sticks in place loosely based off of the measurements I took earlier. I also used K-Cups as guides.
I was careful not to get glue on the bottom, since I wanted the partition to be removable. I also placed paper shims in certain places so that the glue could dry securely.
Once dried, I removed the partition for painting. Notice how the glue dries white and puffy. It didn’t concern me too much since it will be hidden in my drawer. But I would definitely be a bit more precise with my application or use a different glue completely if I did a project where it would be more noticeable.
I’m using your standard Rust-Oleum spray paint from Home Depot. The indentations of the yard stick can still be seen after painting. I did anticipate this for my project and didn’t mind. Besides, once I placed it in the drawer, I couldn’t see it.
Tip: To make the sticks smooth, you can use wood filler then sand them down. You also have the option to purchase the plain unfinished wood which is a bit more expensive.
Once dried I inserted it in the drawer and immediately put it to work ☺️.
This project was super-duper easy. The key here is functionality not perfection. Usually that’s challenging for me, but I was able to put it aside to get the job done. And as you can see, none of the minor flaws made a difference. I can’t way to tackle other drawers.
Hope this post inspires you to tackle some of your drawers and get more organized.
Have a bless day.